MARCH MYSTERY MADNESS


 
      I love this time of the year, it's like second again Christmas for me, when I get to get all cozy with murder, suspense, intrigue. I just can't stand it. This year, just like the two previous years there are challenges to help us mold our TBR lists. I have probably put too much on my list for the month, but I can't help it. But it will also give some room to flex if I need it. There are a Goodreads group, a Twitter page and this year there is also some Instagram challenges in which you can follow along with and take part in the discussions. March Mystery Madness is run by Disis19 HeartsLizziefayeLovesBooks, and many more new host. This year the challenges are:
1. Shelf
2. Borrow
3. New
4. Historical
5. Foreign
6. Opposite

     Down the River, Unto the Sea by Walter Mosley is the new book that just came out late February. This will be my first read of the month and it's also a buddy read that I have with SomdahSaySo, she has a great YT channel where she talks a lot about coffee table books, art books, photography books, sneaker books, it all. It's a great channel. She also is a huge fan of Walter Mosley so instantly we hooked up for this buddy read. All I know is that this book is about a cop named Joe King Oliver who now works as a PI in New York.  New
     Skies of Ash by Rachel Howzell Hall is the second book in the Detective Elouise Norton series. I believe a set of fires is being set in and around the LA area. Det. Norton and her partner Det. Taggert are primaries on the case. That is all I know about this book and that's all I need to know about this book. The first book I read in February and it was really good. It was just what I like to look for in a police procedural. Shelf
     The Crazy Kill by Chester Himes is the third book in the Harlem Cycle that I plan on reading staring none other than Detectives Grave Digger Jones and Coffin Ed. Like the two previous books, this takes place in Harlem during the 1960's and 1970's.  Shelf
     Incognegro by Mat Johnson is a graphic mystery that takes place in the 1930's where light-skinned black men who can "pass" go undercover as reporters in the era of lynching to expose the racial injustices in America. I don't know about the mystery part of the story but from what I can see, it's going to be a gut-wrenching tale. This book originally came out in 2008 and was just reissued. Historical/ Opposite
     The Good House by Tananarive Due is a horror story about a woman who has an inherited a house from her grandmother and I believe there is a haunting of sorts. I honestly couldn't tell you, but I have heard nothing but great things about this book. I love Ms. Dues African Immortal series so I need to expand my library. Shelf/Opposite
     Made to Kill by Adam Christopher is a first of its kind for me. It's my first Christopher book, but it is also my first book where the main character/PI is a robot. That is just wild enough to work in my favor. But it also leaves open the chance for it to be extremely dry, but why think negatively? Taking place in the summer of 1965, we follow Raymond Electromatic as takes on a missing person case. Who knows where this can lead him. Opposite
     The Lying Game by Ruth Ware is her third book in publication. I have read her two previous books, The Woman in Cabin 10 and In A Dark, Dark Wood and they were just okay, They both were really good and freaking creepy right up until a certain moment and then something happens in the books where I just lose interest in the story. I hope that the third time is the charm and I enjoy this book. She has a new book coming out later on this year. Borrow
     Murder on the Orient Express by none other than Agatha Christie is the #MarchMysteryMadness book of the month and this will be my first full-length Christie book. I have read some of her Ms. Marple short stories a while back for MMM. And since the new movie with the same title was just released last year I figured I'd get into it before that want to read feeling fades. Borrow
     Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham is her sophomore book, I read her first book Scarlett Undercover two years ago, you can check out my review here. I liked it, it was a good read. This book came out last year I believe and I'm just now getting around to it. I know that it takes place in Tulsa Oklahoma during the race riots of 1921. I love the mix of mystery and historical fiction that I believe will take place in this book and I'm excited about this one.  Historical
     Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan is the first book in his Takeshi Kovacs three-book series, now Netflix original series. I saw the 10 part series and it was so good. But now I have to read the book series and see if it holds up. It takes place in the twenty-fifth century where if your body dies, you can be re-sleeved into a new one. Well after years in prison, Takeshi is awakened and is asked to find the person who killed off some rich guys body before the killer has a chance to do it again. That is the gist of the book, but I would like to see how the original story took place. Foreign/ Opposite/New

     That's it for me folks I'm pretty hyped about these, and I've already started two of them. What are you reading in the month of March? Will you be participating in the #MarchMysteryMadness? Still working on #ReadSoulLit and #ReadingBlackout? Let me know down below. Catch you on the flip.

PEACE✌





Comments

  1. Love your selection for this month. I will check out the IG accounts of the people you listed too. Thanks A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts