Currently Reading

     As of January 5, 2017 I am currently reading 3 different books and one is a hold over from last year.


     1. The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan, it's the 3rd book in the Percy Jackson Series which I has started sometime mid last year. I'm pretty late to the whole Percy Jackson scene, but I was a Harry Potter person and I think that is what had stopped me from joining in on this ride. But I'm glad that I have finally started. I forgot how much I really enjoy Mythology and reading these books has given me that joy back in reading and remembering and learning some new ones. I am about 22% percent done with this book and I think listening to the audiobook helps me get into the mind of Percy much better, hearing "his voice" is what really does it for me. Since this is the 3rd book in the series I can't go into too much details about it, but what I will say is that it has me intrigued enough to pick up the rest of the series.

     Having read the first two books, I would highly recommend this book series to middle school kids, boy and girls alike.

     2. Half- Resurrection Blues by Daniel José Older, it's the 1st book in the Bone Street Rumba series. I have read Shadowshaper by him late last year (in which I gave 4 stars) and I was very surprised on how much I really enjoyed the story and the voice of the main character, so it felt like a no-brainer to pick up some of his other works.

   "Carlos Delacruz is one of the New York Council of the Dead’s most unusual agents—an inbetweener, partially resurrected from a death he barely recalls suffering, after a life that’s missing from his memory. He thinks he is one of a kind—until he encounters other entities walking the fine line between life and death."

This is listed as an urban paranormal, adult fantasy book. And to be honest with myself, being about 50% done with it, it's good, but not as good as Shadowshaper, and I'll explain more in my wrap up.

3. Queen Sugar by Natalie Baszile, this standalone novel is the inspiration behind the hit TV show that is on OWN.
   
     Now look, when the show first came out I saw like the first three episodes and I was hooked, but I knew it was a book, so I did what I always do which is I put myself on hold for it at my local library, but in true library fashion either they didn't have it or, in my case, the hold list was EXTREMELY long, like I'm talking about 60 + people waiting for this book! Sooooo, I waited and waited... and waited some more. and POOF, as if by magic Amazon Kindle has the book for 1.99 and I scooped that book up so fast!
source

     I'm about 14% into the book, not even 50 pages in, but I'm very hopeful for this contemporary African American southern book. I really, really, reallllllly want to see the TV show so I need to read this before season 2 starts. In just the first 50 pages or so, there are already some differences that I can make out between the book and the show, and I wonder if Ms. Baszile had any input in that or not.



source
     Now this is the part where I tell you about the book that I started last year, got up to 74% done with the damn book put it down because it was too overwhelming, and I'm lightweight ashamed that I did.

     4. A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin. Last year, after FINALLY getting all caught up the Game of Thrones, I had decided to put myself to the challenge of reading the book that were the inspiration for the series. I read the first book in record time (with the corresponding audio book in which I highly recommend) so this too was a no-brainer on starting and loving. Getting back with my favorite characters (Jon Snow, KING OF THE NORTH!) and meeting some new ones.  So I don't know what is the hold up.
     This second installment is a bit slower than the first one, but it's flows so effortlessly from the first book, I don't know, I got to get my shit together and finish the last 100 pages, so I can get on and start the third book. Mr. Martin does have the 6th installment coming out this year, but I know that I just want to be half or a little more than half way done the series before season 7 starts.

So those are the books that I am currently reading. And I plan to try my hardest to be finish the first two by early next week.


So long, farewell. Till next time. 




Comments

Popular Posts