2018 READING GOALS

     Happy Christmas Eve everyone! I hope your holidays are merry and bright! Like most readers, I have finished my reading goal of the year, with 141 books read! Which I am very happy to have done, but now I have to think about all this things that I want to get read for next year, at first I had this whole list of goals that I wanted to get through but looking back at my reading this year I realize that I have some things that I want to accomplish but I don't want to really narrow myself down to these goals because then reading won't be as fun as it will be a chore and I'm not about that. So I have 9 goals, but they aren't as crazy or extreme as it sounds. 
     First I want to set a reading goal of about a smooth 50 books. I know it's less than what I read this year, but I always set my goal a little low, because personally I know that in 2018 things will be changing for me so I'm going to give myself some lead way. 50 is a good number and if I read more great. But like this year I want to get a high page count, if not a huge book count. Lets get into the goals. 
  1.  Re-read Harry Potter series. I remember when I was in like 7th or 8th grade when HP first came out and I don't even think I got into reading the books until the second movie came out and it's been a while since I have read the whole series in its entirety. I love the characters and the world so yeah. I want to read the whole series, one book a month. 
  2.  Read the YA on my shelves! When I first got back into reading a couple of years ago I had picked up a lot of books in the fantasy realm and I didn't realize that they were YA and they have pretty much sat on my self since then, and I want to go through my shelves and do some cleaning but I don't want to just give em' up without at least trying them out. Here are the ones that I have and want to read:
    1. The Lunar Chronicles (only have Fairest and Winter left)
    2. The Diviners series (I have the first two books)
    3. Six of Crows Duology
    4. A Court of Thorns and Roses (I have the first two books)
    5. A Darker Shade of Magic Series (just the last two books left)
  3. Continue to read big books 400+ pages (5 at the min) this hasn't been a problem, I mean I love a good long fantasy/sci-fi books and this year, I swear I couldn't get enough of them. 
  4. Read the Stephen King on my shelves. I have a good plenty on the shelves but the ones that are really giving me the eye are The Stand and The Gunslinger series. I didn't even like the first book, The Gunslinger, but I really want to give the series a real chance. I have the first 4 books and if I can make it to the fourth book and like it, well, yay! lol 
  5. Read more black authors (not really a challenge since I do it 90% of the time anyway. Denise over at ArtsBooksLife on youtube has a video on #Blackout2018, which you can check out here. I have about three whole shelves of books by black authors (those from America and some not) that I can choose from for this goal, so this one isn't even really a challenge, but fun. 
  6. Give N.K. Jemisin another chance. So I read The Fifth Season, the first book in the Broken Earth Trilogy my review can be read here. And while it was just okay, I keep seeing her books one my shelf and on others. I just need to see where this series ends. 
  7. Give L.A. Banks another chance. Again I have read Minion, the first book in the Vampire Huntress series, check out my review here, and I didn't really care for it. I was being generous giving it three stars, but I have heard nothing but good things from this series from two of my favorite Goodreads friends, with whom I have very similar tastes so, again there are 12 books in this series and if I can get to book 3 which is 400+ pages and still enjoy it then again, yay! 
  8. Read The Count of Monte Cristo this is my big book of the year that I want to take on. I have had my eye on this one for a very long while, and I admire the author, Alexander Dumas, which rolls right into my ninth goal.
  9. Read 5 Nonfiction books, now I have realize that I'm not as versed in nonfiction as others nor do I tend to pick it up as much as others. But having found a way in which I like to read it has been very enjoyable indeed. So with that I ha
    1. The Black Count by Tom Reiss 
    2. The March Trilogy by John Lewis
    3. Adventures of an Awkward Black Girl by Issa Rae 
    4. The Sisters Are Alright by Tamara Winfrey Harris 
    5. Josephine Baker a graphic novel by José-Louis Bocquet and Catel

     If you have major plans for the next year, let me know down below, link me to your videos, pages, whatever you have. And seriously though, have a happy and safe holiday. 

PEACE ✌

Comments

  1. Wow! 141 books! That is amazing!
    The Stand is the only Stephen King I have read and it was a pretty good/easy read (although long).
    I also want to read more books by black authors and in particular black female authors!
    I want to read a book by Jhumpa Lahiri.
    I want to read more books by aboriginal authors.
    And my goal is 35. Bring it on, 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy!
      The Stand is a pretty long book but I'm ready for it lol I haven't read any books by Jhumpa Lahiri, but I heard she writes beautifully. I too haven't read any books by aboriginal authors come back and let me know what you have read or any recommendations you have.

      Bring it on 2018!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts