#READSOULLIT FEBRUARY TBR

     Happy Black History Month! And of course, it's that time of the year where I participate in #ReadSoulLit. It's one of my favorite things to participate in the first half of the year and so many great books and movies (mainly Black Panther) that come out this month. Again we take the time to read and acknowledge the wonder that is Black American literature. I have a good range of books this month that I plan on reading from middle-grade, science fiction, action adventure, historical fiction and even a classic. I'm already reading one of the books and I'm loving it it's haunting... So let us get to what I want to read for the month.
     Midnight Without a Moon is the first book in the Rose Lee Carter series by Linda Williams Jackson. The second book A Sky Full of Stars, just came out January of this year. It is a middle-grade historical fiction book about a 14-year-old girl living in Mississippi at the same time, I believe, when Emmett Till was killed for whistling at a white woman. I have had this book on my shelf since it came out last year and I'm excited to read it. And the second book. Piecing Me Together is another book that I had picked up last year when I was going through this middle-grade thing. #representationmatters. I have a daughter who will be in this middle-grade range in a couple of years and I'm trying to have a good set of book for her to start out with when she gets to that moment. One of the last middle-grade black girl books that I had read was Unstoppable Octobia May by Sharon G. Flake, you can check out my review here. It was a great Historical fiction/mystery book. The last of the middle-grade books that I plan on reading this month is Black Panther: The Young Prince by Ronald L. Smith. This is an origin like the story told from the POV of T'Challa as a twelve-year-old boy in Wakanda. There has been a threat to Wakanda and T'Challa's father sends him and his friend M'Baka to Chicago to wait out the storm, if you will, and they start to attend middle school there. I have no idea what else happens in the book, but I get these Coming to America vibes and it slightly cracks me up.
     Nowhere is a Place by Bernice L. McFadden is a book club book on Goodreads for the African American Historical-Fiction Group during the month of February. Nowhere is a Place is one of the last books I have of Ms. McFaddens on my shelf that I have left to read. I'm looking forward to reading it, I know it's going to be a page-turner and maybe even a tear-jerker. Grace by Natashia Deón is a book that I started last March and got up to about 150 pages and then put aside.  During my first read of this book, I believe I had just finished reading Colson Whiteheads, The Underground Railroad, my review can be found here in which after reading such a good, heart-wrenching book, I couldn't finish this book (Grace) that follows a ghost of a dead slave woman looking after her daughter, whom I believe is a product of rape. Even in the first 150 pages, it's a doozy. I had to give myself a break or I would have broken my own heart. But now I have picked it up again and it's still just as intriguing and captivating as it was almost a year ago.
     Patternmaster is the last and final installment in the Seed to Harvest series that I had started last year and having read Clay's Ark last month, you can check out my January wrap up here where I give a mini review of the story. I decided to go ahead and finish off this series while it's still fresh in my mind. And I really need to know how Ms. Butler is going to finish off this incredible series. It started off so strong and while Clay's Ark wasn't as good as I had hoped, I need to see how this ends. Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler is the first book in her Earthseed duology. I have no idea what this book is about, but I know that it is a dystopian, post-apocalyptic story. And to be honest, that is all I need to know. I love her works. And sadly I'm coming to the end of her catalog too. (sad face)
     The Book of Night Women by Marlon James (Jamaican born) has been on my radar for a very long time, and since he has a new book coming out, I believe this year and it's one of my most anticipated books of the year, I figured I'd first like to get an appreciation for his writing. I know this book as well as A Brief History of Seven Killings is another fan favorite and will be read this year too. Resurrecting Midnight is the fourth book in the Gideon series by Eric Jerome Dickey. I read the first three books last year and I have this one and the latest book, Finding Gideon and I will have finished off this series. Gideon is a hitman and each book has been filled with action, suspense, some great spy v.s. spy action and very steamy sex scenes. You can check out my review of the first book, Sleeping With Strangers here
     Last but not least is Tar Baby by Toni Morrison, which is the #ReadSoulLit book of the month ran by Didi at BrownGirlReading. She has a Goodreads group, you can check that out here, made for the reading and the group discussions to be had each week. There is also going to be a youtube chat about the book at the end of the month hosted by Didi and some other great booktubers. I have yet to read a Toni Morrison book and I know I should be ashamed, but I think reading this book with so many others is going to be the push I need to read, enjoy, and understand this work. 
     If you have any time or if you are curious about more things #ReadSoulLit, I would highly suggest you check out not only my Instagram page but the hashtag #ReadSoulLit where you can see already over 5,000 beautiful pictures featuring books by black authors. This month, like every year since it's creation, there is a photo challenge where each day of the month I will most likely be posting a picture that coincides with the theme or idea of the day. Example, today is the first, so I'll be posting these same pictures on my Instagram for others to see what I'm reading for the month. I love this part of it because I get to see and interact with new people and discuss books we have loved, read, hated and want to read. It's great. Please check it out. 
   Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the internet. Let me know down below what you are reading this month if you have read any of the books I've talked about here or whatever. 

PEACE✌

Comments

Popular Posts